View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
8307c4
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
Lets understand max.psi sidewall is not overinflation, above and beyond max.psi sidewall is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
Understanding the connection between tire size and friction and how it translates into FE, I see why one would think that reducing the friction from the tires would improve FE.
BUT, are those who over inflate their tires or reducing tire width (or reducing the size of the contact patch in any other way) forgetting the purposes of the tires to start with?

Being the only contact of the car with the pavement, I don't think that the tires are the right place to improve gas mileage.
Don't forget if you go past max.psi you'll also wear the tires down the center, there's argument concerning this but I can assure you my GTAS tires run $120 each and I take NO chances.

What good does it do to increase my mpg by 10% if I wear my tires prematurely I get to shell out dang near $600 for a decent set of passenger treads, wth I just threw all that saved money out the window and then some, on top of compromising my ride's safety.

On that note my car calls for 195's and I run 205's, I never compromise traction for mpg.

Then a lot of this is for competition only and there are some who want to re-invent the wheel but I'm with you 100%, don't believe all the hype.

btw max.psi sidewall is the correct inflation.

Use yer noggin'