Thread: Fuel weight
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
8307c4
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
For a fuel station first you have to slow down, then maneuver all around and stop.
Then start back up, maneuver out of there and accelerate back into traffic.
You would have been way better off if you could've kept on going.

So first it hurts FE just to pull into a fueling station, then the weight of the fuel in the tank has gravity pushing down on it hence offsetting the entire benefit.

Always fill'er up, the more times you have to stop for fuel, the worse your mpg.

The one thing I found helps is budget fuel, as in set aside a limited amount of monthly money you can spend on gasoline and obey your budget!, Budget is King, budget is Queen, whatever suits you but budget rules. Now either you have enough fuel or you don't... You can do the budget weekly if that works better, doesn't really matter but track it and obey it and always fill her up.

Compensating for the fill up by lengthening the time interval is fine.
So for instance if you set aside 20 a week and it takes 30 to fill the tank, I would guess you'll be filling up about every 10-11 days, but 30 a week is 1560 a year or 130 a month <- It is these figures that need to be tracked, doesn't matter what it costs to fill up so long you never go over the total, and if you do then you're doing it wrong but first time that is ok just start over then do it right lol.

I do not know if 20 a week is enough, you have to figure this out, make it a bit tight but not too tight, but if you find room for improvement feel free to use it. Mine's $10 a week, I only drove maybe 4,000 miles last year, this took some doing and so don't be discouraged if it takes time, but after some years I feel at home with my fuel budget.

btw a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, fuel is slightly lighter but not much.
budgeting fuel money can also help one spot FE-related driving mistakes but also wasted trips, certainly the number of friends who used to ask me for a ride went down in amazing record amounts at the mere mention of the word budget lol
That's why I say, budget rules.

Last edited by 8307c4; 02-04-2008 at 01:00 AM..