View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Screw set mileage tax, and screw fuel tax altogether.

You wanna make moar moneyz?

Charge people based on their MPG vs. the EPA rating for their car. You can't get the EPA rating, at the very least - YOU pay the $3.00 a gallon for gas...

If you get EPA on average, you pay less... the more you go over EPA, you pay a percentage less again.

Not based on single trip data, either, based on real averages, like a 90-day rolling average.

So, f.i. - I get 20% higher than EPA, and under EPA gas price is $3.00 a gallon - I pay $2.00 a gallon for at least getting EPA rating, then, I get a break even further for getting another 20% OVER EPA rating.

Frankly, it's EASY AS HELL to get EPA rating in any vehicle, to the extent that I've never gotten LESS, even loaded down. (most of the time, anyway... loaded down, I've gotten less occaisionally)

This makes it indifferent to whether your car weighs a ton or an ounce, but gives benefit to those of us who actually drive with the intention of getting there safely and as cheaply (economically cheap and monetarily cheap) as possible.

Someone mentioned that e-vehicles (which don't need gasoline) could get away without paying the road taxes... I'm sure a government that can think of this kind of "crap" way of taxing the public can think of a way to get around this loophole... and you and I both know they would.