View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post

BTW, the Tesla doesn't use hub motors. It uses a single AC drive motor coupled to a fixed 8.28:1 gearbox, so it still has axles.
I thought something like this, so I went and looked at the site again... I didn't get specifics on the gear ratio, but it does use a single motor.

Also, the hub motor idea could be more pheasible when the hub IS the motor. Which has also been done.

The design can be DIY'd by making a magnetic induction motor where the armature is stationary and the "housing" is the mobile part. Add a inner bearing race to each side of the armature, and an outer race to each edge of the "housing", and press them together. Mount a tire on the "housing" and you've got an electrically operated tire, where the center stays stationary (so it can be mounted to a car.) I'm not sure how to cool it or anything else yet though...

Check on back episodes of "Ripley's Believe it or Not" there is a guy that made a 1 wheeled vehicle (it's gas powered) but look where he sits... that's the same idea.