View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
But how many amps can it handle for long periods of time? It boils down to amps vs. weight.
Well, I can't personally tell you about that, I've never built it, nor do I have intentions to... but it's an idea that someone could run with, at least to get started on something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Using one controller for two motors would be like not having a differential. And if the wheel with the shaft sensor spun, the other motor would get rapid, useless pulses. Hub motors would be OK for a golf cart used in a warehouse, or for creeping gridlock on a nice day, but are not a good choice for wider conditions.
Thank you, that explains it a little better. Now I would agree that it's kinda useless, in the sense that if one wheel hit ice, the other motor would be tryin to spin just as fast, without the secondary controller to prevent it.

On another note, traction control (at any throttle) is a nicety when using more than one motor, as each motor can use ABS type sensors to determine if one is spinning faster than the rest, and power to that motor can be limited, to prevent it from spinning.

Until hub-motors are researched, they can't be refined to a state where it might be more pheasible, and I've never heard so many people shoot something down without real information that it can't work, ever. (Not this thread, or even this forum... but I've asked about this A LOT, and everyone suggests that it's "nearly impossible" or highly impracticable.

No one ever seems to take into consideration that each "advancement" that's been made in automotive/engine/flight/just about any history started with something that "wouldn't work".