View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
mobilerik
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Which MPG figure is your "Brag Number"?

Here on EcoModder we obviously use Lifetime Average Combined MPG for our end-of-post "brag-tags". But what do you tell "regular" people? (What number would I put on a bumper sticker?)
  • I get 35mpg. (On the highway, on average)
  • I get 30mpg. (On my last few tanks)
  • I get 29mpg. (Rounding up my Ecomodder Signature mpg)
  • I get 26mpg. (If I was to figure out my 50/50 highway/city combo)

Despite my public preference to endlessly qualify the parameters of my accomplishments with a gnarled mess of scientific self-skepticism and measurable statistical error, I think quoting my highest figure is really the most socially acceptable and generally expected thing to do, no?

I mean, if I was talking to another car nerd, I would expect them to inquire further into the figures, to see which one I was quoting. I think if someone was telling me "what they get", I wouldn't at all feel like they were being dishonest if they told me their highway miles. I guess it's just weird that I feel slightly dishonest saying I get 35mpg, when I can't actually fill up the tank on just "highway miles". Is it just me??

I guess for that matter, my EPA sticker miles are just estimates based on a warmed-up car -- also something you can't fill up a tank on -- so they're ultimately just calculated estimates based on sensor-readings. So when my truck is warmed up, I get readings on the ScanGauge that I can extrapolate based on calibration errors to say that I get about 35mpg, highway.

I dunno, still feels wrong. Is it just me? What do you think?

ps. I'm especially interested to hear from the "pros" who've made it into the media. (You know who you are.) What do you tell the reporters? What do you tell the random bug-eyed inquirer?