Thread: Fuel weight
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
i think he means 10 extra pounds equals using 1 more horsepower. or so this is what I'm getting. 10 more pounds cruising where it would take 20 horsepower would now take 21.
I understand you're elaborating on the previous comment (I'm just clearing up that point).

Given the same vehicle with say 2500lb and 2490lb. If the 2500lb variant requires 20hp to cruise - the 2490 will also require 20hp to cruise (okay, maybe 24.9982 due to incredibly smaller rolling resistance by comparison).

The above assumes on a flat and stead state cruising.

The big benefits (FE wise) of reducing weight come into play during acceleration This is why weight is such a big deal for city driving cars and why you're more likely to hear such information at a drag strip

-----
For fuel ups.... I personally go for a full top off. I'd rather not allow more opportunities for smog fumes (I wouldn't be as concerned if my state required EVAP recovery on all gas pumps). I also don't want the extra time it takes to do so. I also live in a pretty flat area - so things balance out