View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
(I know I'm little late jumping in here but I just had a thought)

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just stay behind the semi? I know it's more dangerous being behind one to some extent because it's harder to see the road ahead and depending on your distance, the driver of the truck can't see you. But those things aside, from a pure efficiency standpoint. It would seem like being behind the truck would yield more aero benefits then being in front and you wouldn't be holding traffic up anymore. If you are directly behind a semi, people are not going to assume that you are holding them up because they know that trucks go slow so they will just proceed around as normal. To top that you benefit from the hole he just punched in the road for you.
The idea is to slow the traffic behind you just enough that they don't feel the need to pass and stay in line at a lower speed. Efficiency wise - this prime. You're increasing the FE of more than one car rather than increasing the FE of just one car (yours)