View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm a complete novice when it comes to Electric motors/Controllers of any sort (picking brains on the Internet until I get it right)...but I have no bias against Innovation.I doubt anyone on this board does.

What I do have is an empty wallet and not enough spare time. Many Ecomodders are probably similarly limited. I plan on building my own EV one day-when finances allow-and I can tell you right now that every part of my design will outright STOLEN from the most proven and reliable designs out there. I forsee enough difficulties and setbacks without trying to trailblaze new paths, particularly when I don't understand the existing ones too well yet...

"Not Practical" isn't an insult, it's just a descriptor-often it's just relatively informed opinion. Having said that, I don't think any poster here would tell you not to try something just because of 'untested technology' or 'impractical design'...it's just a shorthand for:

1) nobody's quite got it right yet, prepare for lots of setbacks and
2) have lots of money and time to burn-and also
3) you may have nothing to show for it at the end.

If you have enough determination, time and money, go for it-you could be the next Henry Ford or Ferdinand Porsche.And if anything really good comes out of your sweat and inspiration, I don't think there's any one of us who won't grind up our words over a Double-fudge sundae and chow down!