View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Daveedo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykoala View Post
Hi All,

I know, a big 3/4 ton 4wd suburban, probably not much that can be done. It does have a huge wing on the back that causes air to curve down the rear of the truck at the rear doors.

Would I be better off to take this off? It doesn't serve any purpose as far as I can tell.

I cannot really do any other mods, perhaps put some spoilers (or whatever they're called) ahead of the wheels to smooth out turbulence around them.

I already drive as conservatively as I can, and will be getting a vacuum gauge soon.

Thanks for any advice. TTFN!
'86...is that the half electric quadrajet on that motor or throttle body?

If its TBI then you may want to consider one of those TB spacers. They are supposed to give ya little boost in mileage. If its still a quadrajet then never use the secondaries (they are huge and suck a ton of fuel).

As for the rear "spoiler"...I would want to research it more to find out if its helping with the Cd or hindering it. If its hindering can it be modified to be a vortex generator?

btw, if its a carb on your truck I saw a really cool experiment a guy on an old landcruiser forum did (IH8MUD.com). He swapped out his 4barrel carb and put on a 1 barrel. He disconnected his fuel tank line for the test and used a 1 gallon gas can mounted in the engine compartment. He ended up with HUGE fuel mileage gains. A stock FJ40 landcruiser usually gets single digit mileage. One with a v-8 usually gets 10-12. He was closer to 20mpg...and thats with the aerodynamics of a brick (the weight too cause they tend to weigh around 4500lbs).