View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Intrigued
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
...my factory speedometer reads a bit high. Carmakers probably do that so they cant be blamed for inaccurate speed readings that could get you a ticket.
Nah, too many rules. All speedometers have to be accurate within a very small percentage, or the "gub'mint" won't let the carmaker sell the thing in the first place. I spent a lot of time at the GM dealership recalibrating speedos, and all but a couple of times the problem was from dealer-replaced or special-ordered tires that were a different size than the original build. (Are your tires EXACTLY the same size as OEM???) One customer made us go through the pain (and paperwork) of adjusting his odometer so that his car wouldn't go out of warranty too quickly!

Once in a great while I would see a speedo drive or driven gear that was wrong for the gearing - which reminds me of the new car I did the Pre-Delivery on that had a lump under the driver's floorboard carpet, which ended up being a second accelerator pedal! (best find ever was a Snap-On 1/4 inch ratchet and magnetic 10mm socket under a trunk carpet!)

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...