Thread: AMA on noise
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Formula413
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think that just as your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose, so does your freedom to run loud pipes end at my ears.
This is a great succinct summary of the guiding principle of law.

I got my first bike this year. I have no desire to modify the exhaust. It has a nice sound to it, not too quiet or too obnoxious. Loud pipes are doing serious damage to the sport, I don't want to be part of that.

On the topic of loud exhaust, I put an aftermarket muffler on my Firebird. I did a lot of research first, listened to sound clips, read reviews etc. When it came to sound what I wanted was quality, not quantity. The muffler I went with (Magnaflow) is a little louder than the stock muffler but it's not the loudest exhaust available, or even close. One company actually makes an exhaust system for my car in which the only sound control device of any kind is a "resonator" which is just a hollow cylinder. It's very loud, and not surprisingly sounds like crap. Mine gives a nice deep rumble with no annoying rasp, very mellow at idle and cruise, has a nice roar under hard acceleration. It makes the car much more fun to drive, without being insufferable to those around it. Maybe Harley riders could find a similar happy medium. The problem is that loud pipes are so ingrained in many rider's heads as being part of the culture.