View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
My goal sounds evil:

I do have less than 1.8 liters, in a boxer engine, and awd. It is hopelessly in the 30s mpg. the hitachi carb is the most einsteinal feedback success story of its generation (as say comparing to a chevette with the horrible holley feedback). anyway, I put bigger wheels, the tune ups, cleaning, a bunch of things to make efficient..and ya know what happened?

The bigger wheels increased top end, the little boxer loved it. 70 feet of weld strengthened it. I increased my confidence to haul a complete subaru engine in the back up and over hills and through the woods: It is still 30s mpg.
A recent holiday venture to boston, in the 80s 90s and yea tickling triple digits (not a gangsta back off- all part of an unforgetable experiment) was in the 40s mpg with snow treads howling down the highway.

To my resolution: After the facts of this car, to hell with all of them. I won't even try.

In fact, I seek power for work returned as part of the fuel consumption for now on.The extincted 3 main boxer makes all manufactures a retarded jackass. A v8 diesel has had my imagination since talk of the v8 for american trucks, etc. a few years ago. some of the projects (like the big ol impala the dragstip beating a lambo) has me intrigued, but it seems a wealthy bunch is driving those around, too new for me and my visegrips and duct tape.

My resolution may be to find another 3 main boxer project, if it means pulling it out of a junk pile. maybe a beetle, I have a sube.