View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #104 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
What if you had a GPS integrated with a map of emissions compliance requirements inside the car computer? Or, instead of a map, an "auto download" of emissions requirements based on location? In this situation, the drivetrain would "comply as needed" with each state's emissions laws. You would have the "cost of maximum compliance", but you could also have the "best MPG" in low density (i.e. agricultural) areas. GM already has OnStar, so the hardware is already in place.

PS - I'm not sure I would advocate this is a real-world solution, but I think it's technically possible.

CarloSW2
Since there are only two standards I'm aware of, Fed and CARB, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but both require DFPs so it's not like there would be less equipment, and significantly better mileage. We're talking about a year or few of lag between Fed and CARB emissions standards. What's gotta happen is the advances seen in gasser emissions management for diesels. They're where gassers were in the 70s, but fortunately they have a bit more in the way of tech to apply. Unfortunately, this means we just see higher tech cludges, instead of research on comprehensive emissions control strategies, like we see in gassers these days.