View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #111 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
piezo injectors, bed plates, two stage boost....oh my.

old diesels are done, for real. The aformentioned is just a few things to mention. when internal parts are "allowed" resources(and we all must have encountered something in autos that "should" have been stronger, "they" don't tell us these cute little billion dollar saving secrets).

Diesel temperatures are hotter than gasoline, for a longer time. even a newer truck has outrageous pipe temps to monitor 6 feet after combustion into thousands of degrees. I don't recall an 81 cornbinder getting that hot...even loaded..in the middle of summer...
It is another reason the stereotype of diesel and true big mouths do not know what to say...they have kept all diesel machines cold except some tractor trailers and maybe some trains and planes since the dawn of diesels. The past two or 3 years they are letting it be good. New engines again, are allowed to boost even down low, that is the #1 emission cure...allow the darn diesel to burn...that needed stronger smarter engines.

The funny part of engine history is the very counterbalanced crank that hotrodders spin crazy rpms on gasoline...the whole time it belonged in a diesel, I am certain of it with no doubts. Put a benz crank to a balanced V or flat gas engine and listen to how disciplined the fast fuel can be.A 3 main boxer isn't a legend for nothing...

I am a fan of diesel and mastering fuel in general of course. I hope to get a diesel, the small v8 especially. My last common sense gas engine is a 3 main boxer.The rest of the gas engines hurt themselves just to claim over big hp numbers.

Last edited by bgd73; 01-06-2009 at 11:24 PM..