View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
superchow -

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchow View Post
Well hello everybody, and Happy New (EM) Year!

I was thinking about water injection as a means to cure my 07 Civic's lackluster response in hot weather (a whole other story), when I contemplated means to improve gas mileage under light loads.

Can anybody think of any reason why dropping some cubes of dry ice (frozen CO2, no?) into the intake would not trick the ECU to interpret that as a low oxygen environment and reduce the fuel injection rate? My theory is that the dry ice when returning into gaseous CO2 would mix with the air rushing past it. The air/CO2 mix should have less oxygen in it and to keep the fuel/air mix right, the engine would have to reduce the amount of fuel injected, therefore causing a lean burn, right?

Think: Nitrous injection - but the opposite!

Maybe it would choke out the engine completely? Could this hurt the engine? Thanks for the feedback!
I don't know, but I am *guessing* it would richen the fuel mixture on the assumption that the combustion will free the 02 in the C02 from the dry ice. I say this because the 02 sensor in the exhaust manifold would then measure an increase in oxygen levels, creating a "lean burn" reading. The car's ECU/PCM would then increase the amount of fuel injected to bring you back to stoichiometric AFR of 14.7:1.

I don't think it would hurt the engine because EGR already recirculates C02 into the combustion chamber (at much higher temperatures than dry ice CO2).

What are the "leftovers" after the dry ice has melted away? Water? Goop?

But someone who really knows pipe up.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society