View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
mobilerik
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Mirrors

I'm fussing with the mirrors.

I now have a 5-panel Wink rearview attached to the windshield.

The passenger mirror is deleted. I covered the hole with coroplast and it looks normal. You wouldn't even notice that it's gone.

I'm hoping to fabricate something for the driver-side mirror, and I'm collecting possible reusables for parts. Plastic cups and bowls... that sort of thing. Depending on whether I can find the sizes I want, I may wind up fabbing something out of fiberglass. But I figure that route is really silly, because surely I can find plastic cups!

The photo shows a temporary solution for the highway that I've not seen posted yet. Look closely... the little convex mirror is actually extended perpendicular to the main mirror, and it nicely fits in the gap between the main mirror and the window. It's attached with a metal bracket to the inside lip. Because it's attached it this way, it's actually protected from the airstream when the main mirror is in the normal position.

I'm going to look for a flatter small mirror though, that doesn't shrink everything. I really think it's too small to use as a main driver-side rearview when it's dark. But the combination of a small flat mirror and a larger convex one inside the car could give me the width I need. OR two small flat mirrors angled differently. I don't find the Wink very helpful for seeing anything behind me on the left side, because my fat head is always in the way.

Two flat mirrors may even be "legal" for that matter. Federal guidelines call for the driver's side to have a flat "1-to-1" mirror that gives you a view roughly across the next lane, about 30 feet back.

In any case, I post this just for inspiration, until I can fab a new aerodynamic driver-side window.

Last edited by mobilerik; 01-08-2009 at 05:18 PM..