View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Intrigued
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
hey, new here, i got an 8 hp dc electric motor, a curtis 36 volt speed controller

Which way do I wire it up? I am putting this all in a 1986 Toyota MR2.

6, six volt batterys.

Course I blew up a few things also, but that is just part of all this I guess, gotta blow something up once in a while or it ain't no fun. Any help?
You should take the time to go through the Forkenswift thread. 48 volts is the least I've seen for a car conversion, and highway speeds are hard to reach at that. 12 hp may hold a highway speed, but you'll need more than that to GET to that speed! It's easy enough to overvolt a DC motor, but the controller usually won't handle more than what it's rated for.

We all blow stuff up once in a while, but you'll sure want to put a pre-charge resistor in with the controller. Otherwise, you'll likely blow IT up.

Also, 6 6volt batteries won't give you much range. 12-15 miles maybe, and there better not be an uphill drive back to the house!

There's lots of learning on the Forkenswift and MPaul's VW and bennelson's Metro threads. They're all in the Fossil Fuel Free section. It'll take a couple of days, but there's lots of info there - even about controllers!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...

Last edited by Intrigued; 01-08-2009 at 08:15 PM..