View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
This has gotten me into thinking. If one were to design a window, double or triple-paned, with a vacuum between the panes, would this result in a satisfactory increase in the R value?
It would increase the R-value over using the inert krypton or argon gases that are used in the fancier high-tech windows. How much, I don't know, myself. But even with those inert gases, the gap between the panes they fill is eventually breached over time.

Understanding Energy-Efficient Windows - Fine Homebuilding Article

Snippet from the site:
Quote:
... Argon and krypton are safe, inert gases, and they will leak from the window over time. Studies suggest a 10% loss over the course of 20 years, but that will reduce the U-value of the unit by only a few percent. ...
Like the isolated gasses, a vacuum between window panes will eventually be compromised, too. That's just the result of thermal expansions and contractions over the months and years.

I'd make a semi-educated guess that a vaccuum over inert gas would be chasing diminishing returns.