Thread: addicted to oil
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
GasGuage
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
Ben,

here is where I'm coming from. When the price of gasoline was around $4.19-.29 a gal, I simply despised & hated buying it. After watching it go higher & higher over the years in price, I also hated making greedy people more wealthy when my wife & I had to struggle. So some type of alternative was due. I started searching for ways to reduce our consumption. Bio-diesel seemed like a good alternative. After watching a show on TV & learning of a machine to produce bio-diesel I was almost sold on it. But what seemed good to me, would also seem good to someone else in my shoes, so acquiring the french fry oil from local fast food places would become scarce sooner or later, & for one I didn't own a diesel vehicle. I also said that the next "new" car I buy would be all electric. That's not an affordable option at the present time. but more of a dream of a future time. I read with great enthusiasm your article on the electric MC, being a biker for years myself & still licensed to ride. I could almost invest in that myself but I don't know if the osteo in my wrist would allow me to handle two wheels anymore. At this time I can't lift more the 10lbs with them. So manuevering might get tricky for me. and I'd need something with some range & speed for hwys I have to travel in the rural area that we live in. So I ran across this site on MSN's homepage where someone was talking about getting over 100mpg. that got my attention, & here I am. I've learned a wealth of things that make great gains out of little or no expense. I'm disabled with a fix income, so every little bit helps. I'm getting the best mpg I've ever had when everyone else seems to be complaining about the colder weather. Apparantly summer is going to be a real joy for added increases. As for my ambitions? I'll just leave that up to whatever you want to think.

I bought that S-10 new in '97 purposely like it is. I needed someting easier on gas then my Silverado. It had to be a truck for my trade. The 2.2L was alot better on gas then the 350V8. I opted for the 5sp over the auto for peppiness. The auto's seemed kinda slouchy espescially with the air on. But the 5sp is better for FE. I also bought one with a 3rd door. After driving the Silverado for years, behind the seat just wasn't enough room to keep things when you needed to lock them up. Also great for groceries & haulling around a 100lb Malamute. But I also added the ARE fiberglass tonneau, which is lockable too.

"no man knows another mans heart"