Thread: window film 101
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
jimp
ETST/Mazda3

I have used the diy window tint from WM/auto parts store, it depends upon the brand, etc., as whether it will turn purple soon. Mine did not turn purple, I did not use the cheapest nor the most expensive. The task itself is not that hard, but tedious and time consuming if you want it to look good (no bubbles, etc), You have to think about what you are doing, you can cut a pattern for each window (just reverse it for the other side of the vehicle) from heavy paper/poster board, etc if you want, measure w/ a tape measure, cut out a rough size piece of film, and then trim to fit, then take it off, clean the inside of the window several times, then put the film on, and work the bubbles out. Hope you don't get a piece of lint inbetween the glass/film as well as it will look like a bubble. You can buy the rubber squeegee when you buy the film, again, not hard, but not easy either. If you have a pick up, the back window is a good place to start, its flat, easy shape to try amd see if you like your handywork. Don't admire your work long in the sun, as if you let the glue dry, its a #$%^& to get off, (think razor blades and tint off solution) and a big mess, the interior will be wet from numerous wettings of the glue to dissolve it, etc. If your vehicle is still in good shape and you're still proud of it by washing/waxing it regularly, would suggest you have it done, if its a beat up daily driver, and want to try it , go for it, but figure a weekend easy.