View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
superchow
Master of 140 hamsters

Hamster - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 29.41 mpg (US)

Whooshy Wagon - '04 Volvo V40
90 day: 23.33 mpg (US)

Minotaur - '09 Ford Taurus X SEL
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)
I have read a very interesting article on Autospeed.com about exhaust gas recirculation (linky). The tweaking process is what seems daunting to me. The author gets bonus points for control of the system, but I am looking for the "swamp cooler" approach. BTW: Wet sponge in air filter box = Brilliant!

I became suspicious why my idea of this crude leaning of the air hadn't been tried before. Just think how the car manufacturer's could have cheated during the EPA testing procedures... Then again, they were also gunning for cleaner emissions, which this would not necessarily accomplish.

No, this is an unabashed attempt at "cheating" to get better mileage, emissions be damned. And trying this in my econobox once is still more environmentally friendly than driving a Suburb-Hum-hoe every day. Heck, I commute by bus most days - even during these cheap gas price days.

At least the wet sponge may solve my lackluster low end torque during hot days. That's what I call lateral thinking. Thanks to all who chimed in.