View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Cd,the Photoshop image looks great.My Ghia is already "roofless" and awaits EV conversion,but will collect much dust before she rolls again.------------

Great to see that you are going to go EV. I too would have built a 'lead sled' EV out of this car.

I like your boattail,however my back would never survive it for engine/motor maintenance.Also,If I boattail,it will also come in on the sides as well,to tailor the wake a little better.--------------------

The sides do come inward at the correct angle. Since this is just a quickie Photoshop image, the angles may not reflect this to well.

As an air-cooled VW,provision would have to be made to protect engine cooling,so the diffuser portion would have to be very well thought out,or you could risk cooking the engine.--------------------

EV as mentioned previous ( but good point ) .

Also,with the cantilever engine placement,VWs are as you know,prone to oversteer once you exceed the limits of adhesion.If your tail has much mass,when you break loose back there,the car will really want to swap ends!----------------------------

Also the front skirts will have to move like basjoos or tires will tear 'em up.-------------

I'm inspired by the simplicity of design that Metro used. I'd go with something similar.

Your image is kinda like a chopped/channeled/and sectioned Merc..For some this will always look "odd." I'm kinda past the point of concerning myself with whatever others think about the appearance of cars so it's not an issue with me.If I see you on the street,I'll know what your up to and you'll be gettin' the big thumbs-up from my direction.Looks good,just don't cook it or destabilize it.
The hardest part of a project like this would be creating a roof. Simply chopping the roof would not give the correct angle. Since the chop would be so tight, only short people like myself could fit in the car : built in theft protection ( unless you were jacked by midgets )

( The car has been lowered too ... obviously )