View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #184 (permalink)
Vwbeamer
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
Stock under tray

I'm missing the stock under tray on my car. I hit a dog (RIP) and it damaged the tray. I had to rip it off to get home because it was dragging the ground.

This was befoe I got my scangauge, but I did check my MPG at every fill up. I was expecting a drop in mileage, but the difference was not enough to notice. ( pre scangauge i drove normal and averaged 42mpg)

How much drag does not having it add?

BTW, I plan on adding back, need to find a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Mine is completely open - it's how I bought the car I know, it's terrible - when I open my hood and look down, I see ground (I should be ashamed ).

I will, eventually, block the grille's and add the stock under tray.... But it's important to get a baseline. Should someone else want to recreate, I want them to be successful.

I don't want a situation where the "base" is highly modified from stock whereas someone building for themselves doesn't get the claimed results. This is my beef with HHO peoples - "baseline" is nowhere near "stock" condition. Any failure just means you forgot X by those that want to sell you kits (and refuse to get/allow independent testing).

The flow behind a car is dependent on the "history". I'm getting somewhat different results with the engine bay approximation added in.... Flow under the vehicle ultimately ends up behind the car, and capable of interacting with flow that originated from above.... Although, I did add the ground effect at the same time, so I don't know which one is causing the difference

And UGGGH.... I need (rather, want) better hardware