View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
my girlfriend had didn't have to work for most of the week so on friday she took the train... wich painfully pointed out that cold weather is the enemy of all transport... and now shes off to work with my car... all of this to say the car is still pretty stubborn.

this is what we've tried so far:

since the starter always felt a bit slow, but consulting some mechanics with speciffic experience with the car they said it most likey needed some relubrication so that's what my dad kindly did... it cranked much faster after that but after a day in the cold it still wouldn't come to life. my dad also had a look at the glowplugs... he took out the two that where easiesest to get to and they where fine, so we're asumeing the rest should be ok to. also we've taken out the battery and charged it overnight.

last thing we did was tow it to live again, take it for a ride, and it would start after that (but that was never the issue) it's parked inside now, and i think it'll start, but with temps going below -10 day and night for the last week, i think a couple of hours outside will be enough to leave us stranded again

the only thing i might still try is toss a little petrol in the tank... my dad tells me the engine is unrefined enough not to be damaged by that, but other than that i'm a bit puzzled at what i could try next.

i'm starting to think about getting het a saab 900... she likes those cars and it's supposed to be our wedding car...they where designed in scandinavia so i think it should staty now but despite their good reputation that would still be a high milage old car...

and i'm not the person to just give up when a problem seems persistent

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*