View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cleft_Asunder
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I'm with you and with MetroMPG. Get the VX setup that will give you lower rpms. If you want improved mpg that's the way to go.

It's not as if you're putting in gearing that was not designed for your engine and car. That gearset WAS designed for your engine and car. Or at least, very close matches to what you're driving. Take advantage of what's available to get lower rpms and higher mpg.
Actually, my D16Y7 is a 16 valve engine, so I'm worried that might be a problem. Although my original gears are still there. Someone on the forum wrote:

"The D15B8(CX) and D15B6(HF) are 8-valve motors. The D15B7 is a 16-valve motor and makes like 30 more HP than the B8. The B6/B8 are not the same as the D15B7, or the D15B1/B2 for that matter.

The D15Z1 is a VTEC-E engine; it operates in "12 valve mode" in lower rpm and just cracks the other 4 intake valves to prevent fuel from puddling(essentially acting like a 8-valve engine except it has 2 exhaust valves per cylinder instead of 1). When VTEC is engaged, all it does is open up the rest of the intake valves.

The 8v/12v setup indefinitely helps maintain air velocity at lower rpm, which is why they're able to utilize the longer gears(and why Honda put them on those 8v/12v engines)."