View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fit
EcoModding Lurker

The Fit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 40.84 mpg (US)
Question Honda Fit Belly Pan Project

This is my first Ecomodder post and I am hoping for a little imput from those who may be more in the know than I.

I recently constructed a belly pan from 0.080" sheet aluminum with some help from my dad (who has a better stock of tools at his disposal). The project took one weekend including time gathering the ~$90 in parts and brainstorming.

The front half is modeled after the Kamispeed/beatrush belly pan used by many other fit owners out there and the back half was freelance and is really just our best guess at good areodynamics.

Here is where I need some input!!!
You will notice in one of the side shots that the trailing edge of the rear section is adjustable. The rear section could probably be raised 1.5" or so and lowered as much as another 0.5". I suspect that my maximum gains in aerodynamics will be found with the trailing edge a bit higher. In the current configuration, the trailing edge is maybe 2" lower than the front edge and possibly causing a high pressure pocket as the air gets channeled into a increasingly narrow area.

Would I see results by raising it or am I better off keeping the trailing edge low in an attempt to funnel air away from uncovered parts further to the rear (muffler, exhaust, etc).

Gains over the single (yeah, lots of error with just one data point) tank of gas indicate about ~2 MPG gain. Eager to hit 40+ MPG as the engine gets conditioned, synthetic oil replaces dino, and summer gas and temps push up efficiency.

Last edited by Fit; 01-12-2009 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Spelling