View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #185 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
OK, so the micro-controller was bad, the 7812 and 7805 voltage regulators, the mosfet gate driver, and that's it!

It works again! Never again will I hook 36v up to a 7812 or 7805 voltage regulator. I changed the code so it's very smooth. It is going to feel extremely smooth when accelerating. I also changed the thermal shutdown so that it moves into a high pedal lockout, so that you have to let go of the throttle before you can accelerate again once it has gone into thermal shutdown mode. I took out the gentle rampup, because the current is under control in other ways now. I'm getting lots of help from a head design engineer of brushless motor controllers in some country in Eastern Europe. I forgot where. His name's Fran. He's on the EV Tech list.

My wife and brother said they bought me a surprise tool of some sort that will help with the project. I can't wait to find out what they got! They don't have much money, so I don't think it will be too fancy, but I'm still really excited. Christmas is over! What's the deal? No surprises allowed anymore!

-Paul