View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
DAN
EcoModding Lurker

The Way I Think It Works

There is not that much that can be done to a stock engine manage system. You can buy Hot Rod systems but they still must follow EPA rules to be legal. And you can get really lost in one. Shutting down the EGR valve will give a boost in mpg by letting the fuel burn hotter, but that make the no2 gas go up. Out side of L.A. that's not that big a deal. .Going to smaller tires will cut rolling resistance. But the tires will not carry the same load. And will not stop as good. May 2006 Road and Track's pg 105 "Your Mileage May Differ" is the most up to date thing I now of. It goes along with what I made up my own mind to. That's why I like it, right. Do you guys know about holding down revs? Over the road truck drivers have long known to us use low a rpm as possible. Call it short-shifting, shift as soon as your motor will let pull the load. About %7 of a airplane motor is lost to pulling air past the throttle. They up the airs heat to reduce its density and open the throttle to make up for it. I knew that the more the throttle was open the less power was lost. but R&T says you can save %20 in city driveling driving. If your in front and can open up as you get rolling. Open up all the way, or as much as you can. Don't creep up to the speed you are going to run at. Weight maters most when you are speeding up, no news there. but R&T says 100 pounds added to 3000 pounds adds only %1.5 fuel use. More in stop and go, less on the road. Weight ups rolling resistance, but not that much, they say. .Also hybrids spin there motor up and then add fuel and spark. That's not why other cars do. They add fuel from the starter on. That does waste gas and wash the oil off. I read someplace that almost any start is a cold start to the engine manage system. I know that heating the air worked in carburetors, and engine manage systems use air temperate for setting how much gas to use. the hotter the less. But how it will work now is something I don't know. Also it will add to engine detonation. So try and add a cold air intake when power is needed.