View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
50 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Thanks guys for the input. I was even wondering if I even had the teardrop in the right place.

I read somewhere about the best cutoff point being at 50% of the overall section or it increases drag. So I take it that means the height of the straight part of the cutoff should be 50% of the total height of the car. If so then I could cut #1 shorter. Is there any truth to that, or is longer really better? I just took it back to a straight part of about 8" high or so, enough for lights and a license plate.

Also, if I ended up going with just a trunk piece, it sounds like it would be best to still follow the teardrop. Which would be easier so when I add the back piece, it will still follow the teardrop.

I am not going to drill into the body, even though it would make the design a little friendlier. The trunk would have rails that clamp to the trunk lid edges, and a windowed shell that snaps over it, probably with spring pins or something that can be used without tools. Whether or not it would hinge would depend on the geometry. Then the back piece would bolt to the holes in the bumper, and probably to the anchor holes for the taillights as well.
Wagonman,when they discuss 50%,they're talking about cutting the body off when it has tapered ( top and sides )to 50% of the vehicles frontal area,wherever that occurs.At that point the car would have a drag coefficient on the order of 0.21,if everything else was properly shaped.