View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmonster View Post
is that thing about engine oil amount true? only fill up to the lower limit and you get less oil pumping losses?
Not oil pumping losses... but it does create less work for the engine to do, if the crank is churning that oil... you can get away from doing this by installing a windage tray... not only do you get the benefits of NOT risking oil starvation, but you will actually gain a few HP at the flywheel from the windage tray shaving oil off the crank, reducing the rotating weight (and thus the power needed to spin it) of the crankshaft. It's kinda like adding a lighter flywheel... it doesn't give you more horsepower, it just lets you use more of what's already being created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I tried the open throttle on the Clunker when doing my 13 mile downhill. I switched off the key, and then tried going downhill in gear with the throttle both closed and open. It changed the sound of the engine, but didn't reduce engine drag at all. I think the only way to make that work would be to also hold the intake valves open, and my engine's an "interference" engine, so I think I'd end up with bent valves anyway.
I think this has alot to do with the engine size and type, among other considerations. To accurately see how it affects coastdown times, you'd have to AABBAA test it, honestly. It's not by and large a huge difference, but in some cars, there is a difference.

My loose-engined Civic, for instance - I would be able to modulate 3-5 MPH difference at the end of a long coast on the same stretch of flat road, when coasting from the 45mph stop sign to the same curve (really tight curve, have to slow down to like 20 or so) Usually, by the time I hit that curve, I'd be around 30 MPH... but using the throttle with the engine off, I could keep it around 33-35 MPH over that same 1000ft stretch. Of course, engine RPM also has alot to do with it, and I would never take it out of 3rd gear while doing this.