View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
what the railroad doesn't tell you is that it can up to 30 days to get a rail car from CA to TN, I know as I work in a distribution center for a food conglomerate based in NE, which doesn't always work with the just in time inventory methods alot of places have gone to, which is what WM does, we ship on average 15+ TL's of product to various WM's thru out the SE US. The RR delivers the rail cars whenever they feel like it and then you have 24-48hrs to unload a rail car or pay detention charges. It might be cheaper but certainly not more convenient. A rail car can get lost in the switching yard and then, oops, here, sorry.
The delays experienced at a yard are not a result of a slow process. Containers and Trailers are unloaded at an amazing speed at a yard. The delays are a result of the shipper, owing so much money to the rail yard that the shipment is locked down until funds are released. Also, containers are never lost in a yard. Their numbered grid system is precise and all containers are always accounted for. Now, by the same scenario crane operators will "crush" a container from a particular shipper to send a message, usually related to shipping charges. The damaged container then needs to be unloaded, and reloaded or its contents simply "vanish" due to the accident. Thus the phrase, lost in shipping ..

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???