View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
You got that backwards. Precision is when your readings are grouped around a small point. Accuracy is when your readings are near the true value.
You are completely correct... Here I thought I was screwing up the definition a little bit with my wording, go figure I would get it completely backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
In the picture of the pressure gauge above you might think the tire pressure was 28.5 psi. In fact the gauge only has half a digit of precision, meaning the pressure is anywhere between 28.25 and 28.75 psi. (I have one of these and the gauge only reads 27.5, 28.0, 28.5...etc.).
That's what I learned, if it shows something like 28.5, you can only trust it to the nearest half. If it goes to 28.75, to the nearest quarter... unless you know it to take more refined measurements, you can't assume that it does. I know my electric shaving razor goes in increments of 20%... I may have 20% left, and it may last for one shave, or perhaps two or three... hard to say... I agree, kind of annoying, but I expected nothing less.