View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
greener

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
The unveiling of the new Prius, and its half-mile range EV-mode, brought this topic to the front of my mind. More electric range means carrying around more batteries, which isn't always greener:

Green Car Congress: Study: Meaningful GHG Benefit from PHEVs Requires Low-Carbon Electricity

I attended a lecture given by one of the authors of that paper. The additional weight of the batteries drives up the car's energy consumption, and the environmental impact of manufacturing the batteries is also a consideration. Worse, the CO2 emission from (American) electric generation means that you're hardly reducing your carbon footprint by plugging in your PHEV.

I think we should pursue all research avenues, but it's clear we should focus on reducing the carbon intensity of our electric generation (in America, at least) before we spend a lot of money on plug-in and electric cars.

Once the electric car becomes a commercial reality (within ten years), the electric SUV will follow. If we respond by installing more coal-fired power plants, then we've taken a big step backward.

Abolish gasoline taxes. Replace them with carbon taxes. Only then will the market make an educated decision about which technologies are the best choice.
As I understand it,the long-term vision is Lithium-ion,with very high energy density( greater range or lighter weight/mile/kilo.),in abundant supply,totally recyclable,and powered eventually by renewable energy.---------- Eliminating current waste do to inefficient electric loads reveals that the US already has extreme over capacity,so no new plants actually need to be built if we go after waste.---------- Between coal and tar sands there's about 260-billion barrels of crude oil equivalency within US borders,and as tension grows over roller-coaster oil prices,there will probably be great political pressure to exploit it,with dubious regard to environment.The EPA can say all they want,but when the middle class starts setting up guillotines on the Washington Mall,legislators are probably going to back off.------------- Taxes and limits don't work 'til there's a Pearl Harbor,Concord Bridge,USS Maine,USS Vincennes,or something.-------------- Electric plug-ins can immediately take advantage of off-peak generation,lower dependence on foreign oil,displace pollution to generation facility,provide zero-emissions potential when alternative-renewables are involved in grid.I think they will be part of the bridge into emerging capital markets.I'll remain optimistic about them.Many challenges.