View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
michigandiesel
Michigandiesel

Quality of Chinese engines.

I have read some of those as well. The worst seemed to be the open frame, exposed flywheel slow diesel from India. I read about some in Farm Show, the importer did some of this rework as you mentioned. I know the 20 HP V-Twin would run about $1000.00 with shipping, assuming customs did not check them out too closely and add their fee to the total. So, buyer be ware I guess.

Another poster mentioned the refer units on Semi trucks. I heard that they run about a gallon per hour, so better than 60 mpg at lighter load? Here is another idea, more stationary than this forum usualy considers. How about setting up a total energy system for your home? One of these could both heat and cool your house, make all your electricity and run on McDonalds fryer oil. Sell the extra current to the local utility and get yourself on Ophra. What is not to like? Thanks, Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I've read a number of articles and talked to people who buy these engines and resell them and it seems to all come to the same point of quality control, or the lack of it, all the people who sell them i the US tend to rip the engine apart, clean the sand out of the castings that was left behind at the foundry, replace all the bearings, re machine some of the more precise parts, then put it all back together, granted these tend to be pretty simple engines, but it's still alot of work and tends to double the price and is an investment in time, tools and figuring out what the specs should be.