View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
oldpecan
EcoModding Lurker

A very cool idea!

I think Lincoln (luxury division of Ford Motor Co.) had some Peltier effect seats that both heated you and cooled you. Probably not at the same time.

If the covers of a car's seat and seat back were perforated, IMHO even a humble little fan (or fans) inside there would provide noticeable cooling, even without thermoelectric coolers.

My pet idea is a perforated steering wheel with little hand cooling fans inside. Maybe--- to avoid wiring complexity --- the fans could be removable and rechargeable, maybe shaped like a lipstick case.

BMW had a rechargeable little flaslhight with its recharging dock in the glovebox, 1985 325e.

OTOH the steering wheels of today's cars must be full of wires, so, a few more wires for the teensy-weensy sweaty palm blowers wouldn't be that much of a challenge to manufacture.

The US Army has some efficient cooling vests, either in the works or else already in use in "hot places".

I've heard that the Peltier effect coolong isn't that efficient, but if it is a "targeted, localized cooling effect" so to speak, yes, I would guess you'd save energy in comparison with the typical A/C set-up blowing cold air everywhere and dragging down your fuel efficiency in the bargain.

[edit: Big Dave, what if the thermo-electric isn't trying to cool the cabin but only oldpecan's butt?][has anyone compared the comfort/energy ratios of those two different cooling strategies?]

Last edited by oldpecan; 01-17-2009 at 01:08 PM..