View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
trapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A kayak might not be that good for drag because the air going up from the windshield would hit it and be trapped. Maybe it doesn't matter since they're narrow and curved on top (the side facing down)
winkosmosis,no doubt,the boat will cause some interference over the roof.I do believe such a "roof rack" would however offer the minimum loss do to ,as you've mentioned,the narrow profile with very small frontal area,and drag coefficient on the order of Cd0.06.----------- The majority of the hull should see no separated flow for the entire length.------ Should the kayak be mounted on an inverted aerodynamic pylon as bombs and drop-tanks and bellytanks are done,there would be virtually no drag to speak of.No separation anyhow.---------- Some of my neighbors report that they lose "nothing" when they transport canoe and kayak on their roof.Some have actually claimed "gains."--------- I'm polite enough not to challenge their claims,and one day will test for myself,as I have both a canoe and kayak,but they usually ride inside the bed of the truck.