View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #113 (permalink)
donee
EcoModding Apprentice

- - '10 Toyota Prius III w/Navi
Hi All,

My .010" thick aluminum flashing flat disk wheel covers still look good from a distance, with the only apparent defect a dent in one where one of the ME's from work walked up to one and said "These will never last" and kicked the dent in it. This after about 1 and a quarter years of usage. On close inspection one can see 1/16 inch diameter dents from the inside out along the outside diameter, apparently where pea-gravel has gotten between the Prius trim ring and the flashing. I have heard a road debris bounce off them on occaision. The Prius being so quiet at speed, one can hear the drumming noise. But this occurs very rarely. Even with all the pot holes. Its usually when a truck goes buy and hits a pot hole, and the debri goes sideways. But apparently its enough of a glancing blow as to cause no damage.

If these had been hard anodized before installation, there would not be any scratching. AL2O3 is the second hardest material known to man. And hard anodizing puts a layer of that compound on the surface of aluminum.