View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
My personal opinion on this is that, yes, there is a point where certain aspects of ecomodding can become more dangerous then it is worth it, however, if common sense is used while doing the modifications, proper automobile safety can be retained.

On the note of higher tire pressure. Tires are rated for a particular pressure, car manufacturers recommend a pressure that is usually lower then this. The reason for that is to make sure that when you drive and heat the tires up, that the pressure does not exceed the tire's maximum...IE some drivers are less aware of what actually happens to a car when they are driving it so most people would not figure out that they need to inflate at a lower pressure then is on the tire, so the manufacturer of the car tells them. What I do is I inflate the tires pound by pound, at least initially. I will put them say, 4 pounds higher then the car company specifies and then drive and test the pressure after they have warmed up, if it is still below the maximum for the tire, I increase a few pound and repeat. I do this until the pressure just a few pounds, maybe 2 or 3 to give it a little room for extra heat, and I let the tires cool down, then I note what the cold pressure is so I know what to fill it to the next time I have to fill a flat. That is perfectly safe to do as it is within the tested boundaries of the tire's capability.

Doing a side mirror delete can be hazardous in some cases. Many cars have many blind spots as it is with their mirrors factory installed, so those cars would probably not be wise candidates for a side mirror delete modification. However, if done properly and not rushed a side mirror delete can be done such that the amount of gained blind spot is minimized to a very safe level.