View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo California

Hello -

Today I visited the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo (a city in Los Angeles next to LAX airport) :

The Automobile Driving Museum
Quote:
We invite you to see the spectacular restored antique, classic and special interest cars displayed at our El Segundo Museum. The 28,000 square foot facility puts you up close to more than 70 cars on display. Our collection of automobiles dates back to a 1904 2-cylinder Schacht that has been restored to its original factory condition.
Here are some of the cars I saw. I picked most of the cars based on the wheel skirts. But, it's the car at the end that I think you will be really impressed with.

This is the big find, a Fageol SuperSonic :

Fageol Supersonic Home Page
Quote:
The fabulous Fageol 'SuperSonic' used many aircraft parts (the Fageol Company made P-80 Jet Fighter parts during WWII). Super-Streamlined, it had no doors - entry into the cockpit was by pop-out step plates. Just push a button and the fighter plane type, electro-hydraulically controlled roof rolled back - then step up and into the 2 passenger cockpit. Made of Duraluminum with Torsalastic Suspension (the wheels leaned into a curve motorcycle style), much of the awesome dreamcar was modeled after wartime fighter planes.
The SuperSonic in this museum has doors and "conventional" headlights. It caught fire many years ago, so the interior is gutted. Right now they're looking for a sponsor to restore it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society