View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
whole shootin' match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Phil, we need to talk. I may have a window of opportunity to make the ultimate pickup truck bed. Not just a cap but the whole shootin' match, fenders and all. If I do it, I wanna shoot the whole clip at the problem.
Big Dave,I'd be happy to share anything I've got.I began a mockup of a complete back for the Dodge pickup shortly before the T-100 showed up in my life.Plan taper begins right behind the cab,with the body narrowing towards the rear,just clearing the rear tires.The sides taper and also increase in tumble- home,rolling into the roofline as they progress rearwards.At the rear of the new"bed",the body section is a squashed semi-circle above the bed,and sidewalls/skirts drop below the bed to integrate with the bellypan.------------ There is just enough room for full sheets of plywood to slide in,and the "rails" are cubby-holed toolboxes running the full length of the bed on both sides,much like today's utility beds from Koenig,etc...---- As I was telling akashic,the rear of the bellypan forms a closet for the spare tire (no more getting down on the ground ).--------- Since the whole thing tapers,and grows in curvature,as following the perfect teardrop template,the wake is the bare minimum and there should be no vorticity,just random turbulence in the wake.--------------------- With fully skirted rear wheels I think this" box" configuration will offer the absolute lowest drag for a single add-on structure.---------------- I'm pretty jazzed about it every time I look at it.------------- I would would estimate a 32% drag reduction by itself without the bellypan.Won't know 'til completed.------------- Off the top of my head that's all I can think of.I think you'd really enjoy this sort of technology.I think it's the future.