View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #178 (permalink)
astrospy73
In search of mpg

Old Blue - '07 Honda Civic
90 day: 58.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
IS that really a 550 Gallon rain catcher, or 5 x 50gal rain catchers (plural).

Where exactly do you keep a 550 gallon tank that it isn't an aesthetic nightmare? I'd love to see pics of that.

Not a typo... it is 550 gallon plastic tank (here's a link to similar model: 550 GAL. 67 X 42 VERTICAL TANK - Agri Supply). I picked mine up for $150 when the local Agrisupply was running a special. 2 roof gutters drain into the cistern (about 1/3rd of our roof area... ~600sq ft effective) located under our deck. It is half buried, and the top half masked behind privacy fence wood planks. My yard is pretty sloped, so we use it for gravity-fed (er... gravity assisted?) irrigation. It only takes about 3/4" inch rainfall to fill the system. Wife was skeptical at first, but once she saw how much use we get out of it, well, she was pleased. I've also helped a few neighbors build their own smaller systems (one 300gal unde deck system) and another one using several 55gal plastic drums piped together for a small garden.

Eventually I plan to expand our under deck system to about 2500 gal as part of a larger deck and landscape plan.. but that'll be a few years out. I do have pics somewhere, but am in process of re-organizing my media library. I'll get some images posted when I find them.