View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Subaru Outback Kammback Experiment

Finally got enough coro lieing around to try this. I'm disappointed in the quality of pictures that turned out, my lens was smudged and I didnt realize it. As such, I only have one fairly lame picture of it, but you should get the idea.

Once again I apologize for my usual dark pictures, I pre-lightened this one up so people with dim monitors can see it.

It was just coro and duct tape, self supporting and suprisingly solid. Followed the lines of the car as best I could, although there was a crease on the top where the side met the roof. It rounded itself out more as it got further back though.

And as for the results....

Tested with scangauge, cruise set at 55 mph on a roughly flat, roughly straight 1 mile course (its hard to find anything like that in WV) down and back with no traffic. (Benefit of testing at night) Cruise was cancelled with the brake and then resumed. Weather was fairly calm, it was freezing though, winter gas. Blah blah. Sucky averages as a result.

Pretty much how I've tested everything else.

With The Kammback:
A 30.8
B 32.9
A 31.6
B 33.4
A 31.4
B 32.6
A 32.1
B 32.4

Average 32.15

Without the Kammback:

A 32.1
B 33.6
A 31.1
B 29.7
A 32.8
B 31.3
A 32.6
B 29.9

Average 31.63

So, just barely over half an MPG at 55 mph. Were this a free mod, it would stay, but a permanent solution would be costly, so its down on my list now. I encourage everyone to do their own testing and my post is just here as a reference for others. Blah blah.

As far as driveability, I didnt lose any rear view. I lost sight of the horizon behind me, but there were no blind spots created, which was actually pretty surprising to me. It also pretty much eliminated the need for the rear wiper.