View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #70 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
We have an open air market here during the summer/spring/fall times, and I don't know if any of those merchants would consider allowing their bulk food products to be sold into containers that were just brought with us or not. I will look into it though.

Many of those merchants are Amish, and grow things specifically for the market. Several of them have found out about retailing as well, and now buy bulk candies and such to sell back to patrons.

One thing about Amish families that has always stuck in my mind... I sold an Amish man a truck once, for $3000 (he tried for 3 days to get me lower than that price.) When he finally broke down and paid me for the damn thing, he paid me IN CASH. It was like "let me run to the bank and get your money" NO, he went inside, grabbed the cash, and brought it to me. He then wouldn't let me leave until I counted it in front of him.

Similarly, I used to sell water purification systems for homes and businesses, and several Amish families bought them (the ones we sold to Amish families, due to the lack of electricity, came equipped with solar panels that would run them free of charge.) Every one I sold to them, was paid for in cash.

In fact, the first demonstration that I did for an Amish family, was to 5 families. In their barn. With their pump water. I still can't believe they were drinking that crap.