View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

You kinda lost me there but it seems you have given it lotsa thought, congratulations for working on improving on the perennially wonderful bicycle.

I think the secret to the bicycles success is simplicity. Like the Volkswagen, a machine for the people.

LCD screens and high tech componentry will make a cheap reliable form of transport into a rich mans toy, and rob the direct applicability of such a design. Sort of like fitting a FM radio in your underwear.

Constantly variable transmission scooters (of which I have many) are way superior to fixed gearing but add considerable weight and generally require a more powerful engine. A couple of early honda scooters I have with fixed ratio drive weigh only 45kg( i can pick them up and swing them round just holding a handlebar grip and the rear carrier!) instead of the 75kg of most lightweight cvt scoots. Once you improve power, acceleration and top speed you will also need to improve suspension, brakes and beef up the frame. However, as the weight is less, they are still worthwhile designs.

Regen need only be connected to the brake levers as like a brake light sensor, so that as you pull more on the levers, braking and regen occur together.

As commented above, I think its easy to get lost in possibilities and forget about simplicity, of which most beautiful and practical things involve.

Like Grasshopper walking across the rice paper, not leaving a wrinkle....( just lots of rubber smoke)!!

Hahaha, my bicycle project is a 20kg chopper style bicycle with a fat back slick tire, lay down drag bike/racing bike seating and bars(to keep weight over the front wheel), and a 5-7kw dc motor direct drive to big rear tyre via a ribbed belt, no controller just 100% power with a relay and switch.

0-30mph in 1 or 2 secs? And replace the pedals with a beer keg for when i get thirsty