View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
oldpecan
EcoModding Lurker

metrompg, congrats on your progress

(I haven't seen your vid due to my really really slow and bad internet ISP - don't ask)

The particular issue of HOME POWER magazine with the article about the pedal-powered video-player + TV is the Feb/March issue of 2001. (So much for my estimate that it was 10+ years ago). the author is Aaron Dahlen.

You must subscribe to HOME POWER afaik to read it. He was fairly technical as to methods of buffering the varying human-power output to make it usable for the the narrow range of input required by the electronics

He addresses some of the complications of powering a IIRC cathode ray tube TV with a bicycle set-up, such as, that type of TV requires a very big, but momentary) start-up current to establish a magnetic field (anti-gauss IIRC). Perhaps LCD TV's don't suffer from that requirement.

anyway the author was a fit fellow in his late 20's IIRC, but found he had to build up his strength and stamina to power that set-up for the duration of an entire movie. IIRC he was providing the energy for a VCR and maybe a 25" TV. old school CRT TV IIRC.

hopefully DVD players use less power than VCR's and I'm pretty sure LCD's use noticeably less power than what he was powering.

Last edited by oldpecan; 01-22-2009 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: just re-arranging the Titanic's deckchairs