View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #277 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Rod Hower mailed me a whole 10.5"x8.5" sheet of the the isolating material. He also sent me a free small brushless DC motor that he designed, and a fan for cooling the controller! Isn't that awesome? If you haven't checked out the EVTech list, I highly recommend it. You get to talk to experts. Throw out a question, and you get 10 different, thoughtful answers that are all based on real world experience. I love it!

I've been working on the layout for the capacitor side of the power board, and the mosfet/diode side. I'm doing it with ExpressSCH. I have it set to a 0.5 mm grid spacing. That's good enough to get as much detail as I need. Since I think I'm getting a mill soon, and I have almost all the measurements done, it will be pretty easy to etch with great accuracy with a mill. The one I'm looking at can move around with 0.05 mm accuracy. I'm excited. There's not much room in the garage, but I'll make it fit. Also, It can be done without a band saw if you have M- come out the back, and B+ and B- come out the front. It's cheaper and easier for a regular person to manufacture if it is done that way. I even heard that there are advantages as far as the internal electronics go. Path lengths for various currents (coming through different mosfets) are the same. It is non-standard, though. I guess it could still be done without a band saw, but B+, B-, and M- would be pretty close together. There could always be a non-conductive barrier between each of them. That's no big deal, I guess.