View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Your "step on the moon" or "first kiss" moments...

It can be any kind of record, not necessarily measured by mpg. It can be a record that you beat since but you remember that moment as a great one, may be that changed something... (if so then tell what).

Here are a few others :
  • First week arriving before 8:05 AM in office every morning (always 1st in my company and once 1st in the building) and got no morning or evening commute lasting more than 55 minutes.
  • First coasting in neutral on 1 km with tires pumped-up at 3.0 bar (44 psi).
  • First coasting in neutral on 1.6 km with tires pumped-up at 3.2 bar (47 psi). On this segment I'm currently coasting only on 1.2 km because I use a slower max speed as the last 400 m contains 2 round about that are generally under traffic.
  • First heavy use of pulse and coast in neutral in city with tires pumped-up at 3.5 bar (51 psi = max sidewall). I had the feeling to fly... since I want an hybrid conceived to stop the ICE in such situations (I don't feel comfortable with the idea of stopping the engine in my current cars : the steering wheel and the brakes are too hard when not assisted).
  • First commute with 12 engine stops instead of idling. Before that I was stopping only 2/3 times before worrying too much about the battery, now I can stop 5/6 times before beginning to worry.
  • The first EPA+50% (52 mpg) tank in megane with rear wheel skirts.
  • The first 50 mpg tank in megane without rear wheel skirts.
  • The first EPA+40% (56 mpg) day in scenic with full grill block and wiper cover.
  • The first 1000+ km (620 mi) tank in megane then in scenic. Now I know that both trip odometers display only 3 digits... I also know that coasting in neutral is efficient.
  • The first 1100+ km (680 mi) tank in scenic. Now I know that I can be more consistent in my daily commutes, but also that a single trip in city can kill your tank.
  • The first time I made a trip last 10% more time and saved 30% gas compared to what I was doing previously on that trip.
  • The first time I didn't took the highway and consumed less gas than through the highway.
  • My first 400+ mi 3 days trip at 53 mpg in scenic with wife, child and lots of Xmas gifts, included a 64 mi leg at 59 mpg.
  • The first 900+ km tank by my wife
  • Our first 50 mpg shared tank my wife and I in the scenic.
  • The great feeling of having a cleaner car when you change air&oil filters and oil from 10w to 5w.
About the coasting time, I have only 2 hands : one on the wheel and one on the manual stick; so I used 2 methods :
  • my wife activating a stopwatch when I was saying stop (in neutral) and start (in gear), but she didn't really appreciated to be used as such and so she got the feeling the trip was never ending...
  • a voice recorder
I tried to count orally a couple times but when traffic is too heavy I can't concentrate me on traffic and counting. Anyway when you are at "two hundred and seventy seven, two..." then you spend more than one second per second...

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.

Last edited by groar; 01-23-2009 at 06:14 AM..