View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
malibuguy
MPG...what?

Terkle - '97 Toyota Tercel Whitehawk
90 day: 40.91 mpg (US)

Bubble - '10 Toyota Yaris base
90 day: 41.88 mpg (US)

Deva - '13 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 39.82 mpg (US)

Malibu5 - '82 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Highlander - '06 Toyota Highlander Limited
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to malibuguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
CVT's actually have a lot more drag than conventional manuals or autos. They make up for it by keeping the engine in such a tight range during acceleration. They suck in the winter due to the effect of temperature on the belt. Makes the engine rev way too high just to get moving.

But it can be done. Your main problem is going to be FINDING a transmission. There aren't very many of them made. And none will probably be a direct swap.
yep, the Caliber until it warmed up, in the winter months, it sang much more RPM then needed for the first 3-5miles, highly annoying, i stopped logging the mileage on here, but still kept track, went from a best of 34mpg with the a/c on in the summer, to 28 in the winter...blach...& that was before it got really cold, cuz then i fixed my Tercel & have been driving it

but the CVT is neat & pretty effecient way of accelerating after it gets up in the power band, but it sucks right off the line, 2.7X 60-foot times, twas pathetic, but i did get 16.9s out of it @ 83mph with a 15mph headwind, not bad for pretty much stock, 2.0L 158HP & 3300lbs +/- with me in it

-06 Highlander 3.3awd
-10 Yaris sedan
-97 Tercel, 1NZfe swapped
-96 Tercel
-82 Malibu 1UZfe swapped
-19 Fit (wifey ride)

www.pipedreamsfab.com