View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
captainslug
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
It's finally above freezing for the first time in a month. A toasty 54F. It's so "warm" I was able to work the ice out of the garden hose.
Parts everywhere. The parts on the far right won't be needed (fuel tank, exhaust, muffler, engine brackets).

Frame is pretty filthy.

I can only get is so clean with dish soap, water, and a brush.
I'll have to clean it further by sand-blasting it. But for now it's clean enough to start cutting and welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Does your state require titles for mopeds?
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
1. How much empty does it weigh?
2. I'm assuming it won't have knobbies on it, something in the 16-18" rim size would be good.
1. I'm not sure at the moment. 80lbs without the wheels is my best guess. It's pretty light considering that the triple tree is the only part made from aluminum.

2. I am going to stick with dirt track tires because part of my route to work has a tendency to be muddy. There's also a creek I would like to be able to cross behind my neighbor's house that would significantly shorten another route I can take.
Being able to ride safely on mud and wet roads is the primary reason I started this project. I have to make one from scratch because there's nothing available in this configuration that's under $5,000.

I'm currently debating whether to switch to BMX rims to reduce weight, but I'm not sure if they can handle the weight of the frame (100lb), batteries (100lb), and me (130lb). I'm trying to aim for a final weight of no more than 250lb.

Tentative to-do list for this week
+ Grinding off excess tabs
+ Cut in frame well for upper most battery
+ Machine battery-rack/motor-mount parts
+ Weld in battery-rack/motor-mount parts
+ Make or buy new handlebars
+ Plan wiring schematic

Last edited by captainslug; 01-23-2009 at 01:58 PM..